Fight against Organized Crime
The newly-elected governor of your state has promised to fight against organized crime. She is not completely sure what is meant by “infiltration of business.” You have been asked to provide her a 4- to 5-page report in Microsoft Word document that reviews the various ways in which organized crime groups interact with businesses and government agencies, including the following points:
- Explain the different ways in which an organized crime group can make money by intimidating businesses, including:
- Protection from work stoppage.
- Protection from supply stoppage.
- Protection from vandalism or other crimes against the business.
- Explain what is meant by “no-show jobs” and “bid-rigging.”
- Explain the connection between organized crime and some labor unions. (The 1987 President’s Commission on Organized Crime report can be helpful here).