This document includes the prompt, expectations, and requirements for the research paper. This document is available as a .pdf and as a Word document. It includes an overview of each section of the essay, and information about what to include and how to organize your essay.
Things to keep in mind:
- For this essay, submit an MLA-formatted Word document (do not copy and paste). You will submit your assignment below.
- In 5 full pages of text. This means your essay should hit (or come reasonably close) the last line on page 5.
- Your first paragraph should include (a) the name of the poem and poet, (b) a one or two sentence summary of the poem and (c) your thesis statement or main point about the poem.
- Your essay should be written in academic style (no first or second person, academic language, use of MLA formatting) AND include examples or quotes from the story.
- Chapters 33 and 34 in your textbook have additional information on developing a thesis statement, using quotations, and citing sources.
- The majority of your research paper should be analysis of the poem. The biographical portion is only a minor part of the whole project.