Assignment 2 International Crime Witness, Part 1
Due Week 6 and worth 250 points
Use the Internet to research criminal proceedings in one (1) of the six (6) model countries from the textbook. Imagine you are traveling abroad in your chosen country when you witness a local national committing a violent assault. The criminal is arrested and charged by the police.
Upon returning to the United States, a professor in one of your criminal justice classes asks you to complete a written report on your experience.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
1. Determine the pertinent demographic, social, political, and economic factors about your chosen country.
2. Examine the manner in which your chosen country’s criminal code would likely view the crime you witnessed. Provide a rationale for the response.
3. Choose two (2) individual rights that the United States grants criminal suspects, such as search and seizure, right to counsel, etc., and analyze the country’s perspective on each right. Provide support for the analysis.
4. Investigate the manner in which the police in your chosen country would likely treat the defendant. Provide justification for the response.
5. Classify the fundamental similarities and differences between the police culture in your chosen country compared to the United States.
6. Use at least four (4) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
· Compare and contrast American perspectives on criminal law with those of other countries.
· Evaluate the nature of comparative policing and global law enforcement cooperation.
· Analyze the role of procedural law in the four (4) major legal traditions.
· Use technology and information resources to research comparative perspectives in criminal justice.
· Write clearly and concisely about criminal justice topics using proper writing mechanics and APA style conventions.