For this assignment, you will complete the Module by reviewing content under the Challenge, Initial Thoughts, Perspectives and Resources, and Wrap it up. You will complete the provide questions afterwards. Be sure to answer incomplete sentences, references information from the module and not use your personal opinion.
Assistive Technology: An Overview
Take some time now to answer the following questions. Please note that the IRIS Center does not collect your Assessment responses. If this is a course assignment, you should turn them in to your professor using whatever method he or she requires. If you have trouble answering any of the questions, go back and review the Perspectives & Resources pages in this module.
- Name at least three items that could be considered AT and describe how those devices could support a student with a disability in the classroom.
- Explain two reasons why it is necessary to consider AT for students with disabilities.
- Why is it important to consider both AT devices and services?
- Describe three responsibilities of the Implementation Team.
- List three outcomes the Implementation Team can determine by evaluating a student’s assistive technology.
- Imagine you are a seventh-grade general education language arts teacher and a student in your class has an upcoming IEP meeting. What types of information should you gather ahead of time to contribute to the discussion of the student’s AT needs? Name at least four.
- During the meeting suggested in the example above, the IEP team recommends AT for the student. As a general education teacher, describe your role in the AT implementation and evaluation processes.