For this writing plan, you will analyze your selected reading (Mother Tongue) and state an opinion or evaluation about the author’s claim. You will then use evidence or key points from the selected reading to back-up your evaluation.
Each response should be one fully developed paragraph in length (5-8 sentences). Specifically, the following critical elements must be addressed:
- What is the author’s claim in the selected reading? In other words, what do you believe the author wants their audience to learn or understand better once they’ve finished reading?
- Have you identified new key points that the author uses to support their claim in the selected reading? If so, include them here. If not, restate the key points you uncovered in your Writing Notes assignment and explain why the key points from your Writing Notes have remained the same, even after conducting an active reading of the article.
- Describe the author’s target audience: what group or groups of people is the author trying to reach with their message?
- What choices does the author make within their writing to connect with this target audience?
- Explain your evaluation of the author’s claim: is the claim strong or weak? What evidence or key points from the writing best support the author’s claim? If you found the claim to be weak, explain why the evidence or key points provided did not effectively support the author’s claim.