SHARP (Sexual Harassment Assault Response Prevention)
Precursors to sexual assault such as sexual innuendos; sexual harassment; demeaning behaviors, like hazing and other sexually offensive actions continue to stymie cultural change within the ranks of our Army. Cultural change is only successful when Soldiers reject these precursors of sexual assault at all levels. In what ways can leaders enforce and promote this cultural change to further combat and prevent sexual assault in our Army.
Inform learners they will write a two-page (maximum) essay addressing actual SHARP issues from your environment – unit, organization, or Army – and making recommendations on how all leaders at all levels can implement potential solutions. The winner will be selected by the commandant and recognized with a certificate of achievement and coin during graduation.
Title: “Why does the number of sexual assaults continue to increase throughout your unit/organization/Army?” (Choose one)
I. Introduction (1-2 paragraphs)
A. Opening statement
B. Background information
C. Purpose statement
II. Body (2-4 paragraphs)
A. (Point A) Why does sexual assault occur? Include supporting evidence.
B. (Point B) Does our current approach to training reduce (or not reduce) the risk of sexual assault and harassment? (Could be tied to point A)
C. (Point C) Supporting topic & evidence to support your thesis.
D. (Point D) How do we end sexual violence in the military?
III. Conclusion (1-2 paragraphs)
A. Summarize the main points.
B. Make a strong, memorable final statement.
- Font is Arial, with a point size 12
- Use standard margins: 1 inch from the left, right, and bottom edges Do not justify right margins
- Use double spacing
- Utilize a graphic organizer of your choice
- Follow the Army Writing Style and standard written English.
- Use the five (5) paragraph format
- Strong purpose statement
- Use “Second Set of Eyes”
• Essay must be 1-2 pages in length (title page does not count as a page).
• Essay is an individual activity (although peer editing is allowed).
• Essay must contain two references (ARs, personal interviews, peer review articles, etc.).