Note: To open PDF documents, you will need the Adobe® Reader® software (available as a free download at: http://get.adobe.com/reader/).
- Course Text: Berns, R. M. (2013). Child, family, school, community: Socialization and support (9th ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Chapter 1, “Ecology of the Child” (pp. 3–31)
- Chapter 2, “Ecology of Socialization” (pp. 33–69)
Resources for Action Plan 1
Aims of Socialization
Professor of Human Development James Garbarino asserts that for children’s optimal well-being, current society must view childhood as “the social space in which to lay the foundation for the best that human development has to offer” (Berns, 2007, p. 37). This statement gives rise to the questions: What are society’s goals/aims for children? Who and what in society have the most influence on how successfully children achieve these goals/aims?
Review the “Aims for Socialization” section (pages 36–52) in Chapter 2 of the course text.
By Day 3:
Post your thoughts with regard to:
- Garbarino’s viewpoint as expressed in the quote.
- The aims of socialization (as referred to in your text) that you believe are the most valuable and why
- How you hope to help the children and families you work with in the future to achieve those aims.